ENTERTAINMENT NEVER ENDS

Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Man Who Went Around the World... Of Music


In his more than 50 years in the music industry, Gene Perla has done it all, according to him, by the stroke of luck. He’s performed alongside some of the most prominent jazz musicians in history, founded his own record and publishing companies, and has even allowed a little time to give back and teach.

            Born in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey in 1940, during the prominence of jazz music, Perla, 70, knew from a young age he was destined to play music. He learned piano at the age of five. An only child with parents who didn’t get along, he turned to music to get through his early years. “I grew up kind of alone,” said Perla. “My mother was very supportive of my music. She paid for my piano lessons.”
            At age 24, after struggling to master the piano, Perla switched gears and learned to play bass. He had found his niche. He would become one of the most influential and proficient jazz bass players of the ‘60s. “The bass was perfect for me because it played organically,” said Perla.
            He then moved to New York to become a professional musician. “The doors opened immediately, he said. “It was thrilling to have the opportunity of doing what one dreamed about. I even got to play with the greatest singer of all time (Frank Sinatra) simply through all the connections and opportunities at the time.”
            A tall, skinny, white-haired man who hasn’t seemed to age past 50, Perla credits his career shifts and business ventures to flukes. “I landed a gig with a famous drummer called Elvin Jones who was asking me for songs to record,” Perla said. “So with the help and advice of friends and lawyers, I set up my own publishing company and copyrighted and sold my own songs.”
            Perla Music Records was even more spontaneous. “A friend of mine who was a saxophonist was complaining about not having any success,” Perla said. “I listened to it and I liked it. So with the help of my attorney, Bill Krasilovsky, I set up my own record company.”  
            Regardless of all the constant career moves, performing has always been Perla’s passion. “I love to play and produce music, he said. “Performing has brought me the success of inner happiness. It gave me something to focus on, explore feelings, become educated and travel the world.”
            His most vivid and cherished memory was performing with Nina Simone in Holland. “The music and environment was soft and delicate,” he said. “It was like full hours of quiet where you feel the sensation of hearing droplets of rain. The intensity was so great that I felt that consciousness escaped physical being.”
            Perla’s transition to teaching came from orders above him. “My first wife wanted me to settle down, so she basically gave me an ultimatum. It’s ironic how that works out right?” His first wife divorced him after 10 years of marriage.
            He landed his gig as a professor at Lehigh through his infatuation of making connections. “I went to the music department where I was introduced to Bill Warfield (director of the jazz band) after they told me they needed a bass teacher,” he said. “I’ll never forget the words Bill said, ‘Gene Perla? Are you that famous bass player?’ Things like that reminded me that I was cool.”
            Perla got the job and eventually created Lehigh’s music business classes where he uses his experience and knowledge to instill the ever-changing concepts of the music industry to his students. “He incorporates stories and experiences he has had to clarify certain topics we learn, or just to share funny anecdotes about things that go on within the industry,” said Michael Langsner, a former student.
            “I admire the fact that Perla knew exactly what he wanted to do and worked hard enough to make a successful living doing it,” said Eric Schwartz, a former student too.
            Perla’s philosophy for success is to go with the flow. That’s how he made it through the maze of the music business and how he recommends others to follow. “You have to attack life,” said Perla. “I like to accomplish things no matter how difficult they are.”

No comments:

Post a Comment