ENTERTAINMENT NEVER ENDS

Thursday, March 3, 2011

How to survive Venezuela during spring break

So it's a little off topic from what my posts usually are, but hey, why not just for the fun of it?

It's been almost two years since I last visited my home country. My parents basically begged me and almost bribed me into not going. "Please! Anywhere you want to go but there!" they said.

I have to go. Sure it's unsafer than ever before and inflation has more than quadrupled in the last year,  but I still miss those white sandy beaches, the 90 degree weather and the friends I've left behind.

So to calm my parents down, I basically give them a checklist I will abide by to be safe.

1.) Don't cause attention to yourself! Hide the iPhone before getting off the plane. (It's a good thing I don't have a BlackBerry because they snap those off your fingers like candy).

2.) Take off my watch and any visible jewelry or values and store them in my bag.

3.) Take all the credit cards, cash and passports and stow deep inside your bag.

4.) Leaving the airport and going to the car is the crucial part. Most muggings and express kidnappings take place on the 30-minute road connecting the airport to Caracas. Make sure the person who's picking you us is trustworthy. Don't ever just get in any cab, especially if you're a tourist. Do that, and bye. You'll be calling the embassy from the middle of nowhere wearing nothing but your underwear (if they were feeling nice).

5.) Avoid driving late at night. Traffic signs are not enforced and anyone can DUI without any consequences. It's better to stay over till sunrise wherever you're at rather than return late at night.

So this, along with common sense is going to keep me safe (hopefully). I was raised there. I know my way around. You just have to be smart, and well, have a little luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment